Milestones

1930s & 1940s

Regular sailing races in the Johore Straits between the Changi Garrison Yacht Club (CGYC), RAF Seletar and the Royal Navy’s (RN) Red House.

1936

Idea for a sailing club at Changi – the brainchild of an officer who was stationed with the British military forces in Singapore, Captain Sterling Wilkinson, Royal Signals.  Named the Changi Garrison Yacht Club (CGYC), it was located at CSC’s present location and flew an official red and blue pennant.  Membership was about 120, mainly British military personnel.  Native sail boats (Koleks and Jongs) were first used.  Signalman Goldman – the first to take to the sea with a Kolek.  A ”standardized” dinghy was later introduced: the 14-foot pram dinghy that was named after its designer, Royal Air Force (RAF) Wing Commander Burling.

1937

The Club got its first keelboat, The Paddle and Creek.

1938

The Pier was constructed. Founder member, Mr Jack Gulston, drafted the Club’s first Handbook.

1941

The starting bell for races was made, courtesy of members, Greenway, Boland and an expert mould-maker, Foxcroft.  The bell still stands in the Club.

15 Feb 1942

Singapore fell to the invading Japanese army.

17 Feb 1942

One of the Club’s Burling pram dinghies, the Goldeneye, was used by three British servicemen to make their escape from Singapore.   The dinghy was halted by a Japanese cruiser in the Sunda Straits, 650 miles 2 weeks later.

1 March 1942

The Club’s Commodore, Colonel Heath and a handful of members held last Club meeting before they went into captivity for the remainder of the War years (1942 – 1945).

1947

The Club was revived following the end of World War II and renamed the RAF Changi Yacht Club.

1965

Singapore becomes a Republic.

1971

The British military withdrew from Singapore.  The Club was handed over to the National Sports Promotion Board (NSPB) and was renamed as NSPB Changi Sailing Club.  When NSPB became the Singapore Sports Council (SSC) in 1973, the Club was once again renamed as the SSC Changi Sailing Club.

1974

SSC decreed the Club be ‘self-supporting” without the benefit of government subsides.

1980’s

CSC sailors did Singapore proud at regional and international sailing competitions.  Siew Shaw Her, who won seven gold medals in South East Asian (SEA) Games between 1983 and 1987.  He was also voted the “Sportsman of the Year” in 1988.

1981

The new Clubhouse was completed.

1990’s

Dr. Benedict Tan Chi Loong who won a gold medal at the 1993 XVII SEA Games, became an Asian champion when he clinched a Gold in the Laser class at the 12th Asian Games in Hiroshima, Japan in 1994.  The XVII SEA Games also saw sailing Golds going to Anthony Kiong and Colin Ng (Men 420 Class), Ng Xuan Hui and Wong Yiling (Women 420 Class) and Tracey Tan (Women Laser Class).

1987

The Nanking Plate Regatta is introduced after treasure-hunters and former Club members, Mike Hatcher and Max de Rham, donated three 240-year old China dinner plates that were salvaged from a Dutch vessel, the Geldermalsen, that floundered on a reef close to Singapore in 1751.

1988

The Club is renamed as “Changi Sailing Club”.  SSC becomes a “Founder Member” under the new Constitution and retained the right to appoint the Commodore who, in turn, appoints the Vice Commodore, the Honorary Treasurer and the Honorary Secretary.

1996

The Club celebrates its 60th Anniversary.  Extension plans of the Club house were completed: a new swimming pool, bar and office.

2001

The Club’s tenancy was renewed.

2006

The Club’s Constitution was amended with SSC’s blessings.  Members can now elect the Club’s Commodore and all Management Committee Members.

Nov 2011

The Club celebrated its 75th Anniversary.